Re: boot floppies and syslinux "-s" mode

> On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 10:48:54PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> > > As CDs are a lot faster than floppies, it's OK to use "-s" for the boot
> > > image on the official CDs, but I'm thinking about going back to the normal
> > > mode for the floppy images, and adding a README file giving instructions
> > > for replacing syslinux on the rescue floppy to build a "-s" floppy, just
> > > in case the user has one of the machines that don't like the normal mode.
> > > (It as simple as inserting the floppy on the drive and running
> > > "syslinux -s /dev/fd0" as root). That information may be added to the
> > > install docs instead/also.
> >
> > Um? How are they going to run syslinux -s if they can't yet boot their
> > machine?
>
> They can run syslinux from MS-DOS/Windows.
>
> > There must be, on the FTP site somewhere, a disk image made the '-s' way,
> > in addition to the 'fast' one.
>
> I've thought about it, but I don't like the idea of having four rescue
> images, slow, slow-tecra, normal and normal-tecra, with that small
> difference. But I can be convinced that four images is the best solution.
> ;-)

If the slow images are not provided, I'm going to make them for the CD's
(which is a pain, because syslinux needs to be run as root, whereas the rest
of the CD image creation can be done as a normal user).

How about providing the syslinux -s images by default, and telling people that
they can run syslinux without the -s to speed up the floppy boot ?

Cheers, Phil.