Re: Debian i386 freeze

> > I don't think you put that correctly. The problem is not commercial vs. free,
> > but GPL vs. everything else.
>
> Actually, the problem with is with copyright law.  Or aren't you familiar
> with what happened to the early freely made contributions to Unix?

What? They've been used in commercial software? Wow, that's a horror story:)

> Maybe you don't know why we're using Linux here, instead of Unix?

Is this supposed to be an offense?
(And btw, I prefer to think of Linux as a Unix flavor)

> But the meaning of the GPL is very clear: this software is free software,
> and it's going to stay that way.
>
> And I think that answers that question, that you would say [rather
> than ask].

Raul, free software is much broader category  then GPL'd software.
And what you meant to say is probably "this software is GPL'd software and it
is going to stay that way". So, the world with only GPL'd software present
is a world where everybody's happy. (Do I smell a Communism here? Yeah, I do,
I can recognize this smell so easily, I have been living for 23 years in this
smell.)
To the RMS regret, world is not that simple, and even free software can choose
different kinds of licenses, even worse, more and more different licenses
appear - take NPL as an example. And in this world, where it should already
be obvious that it is impossible to put everything under GPL, the GPL itself
becomes a hindrence rather then engine of the free software movement (as it
used to be).

This is solely my opinion.

Thanks.

Alex Y.