Re: Debian i386 freeze

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > > Yes. I think this is right. All kde-programms are under the GPL and the
> > > libs are under the LGPL.
> > >
> > > Remove the binaray but please  not  the source of kde.
> >
> > Is moving it all to non-free acceptable?
>
> I don't think it is, because we'd still be ``distributing'' the binaries under
> the aegis of the GPL.
>
> There's certainly no reason to remove (or even move) the source though.

Well, if we have a source package in our archive, aren't we supposed to
also ship the corresponding binary packages? If not it may be confusive
for users already used to our archive style (read: we'll get a lot of
emails asking "I've found the source of package foo in your archive, but
the binary is missing, what's wrong?").
I rather put those packages in a special 'src-only' section (along with
pine, qmail & co.) but I agree it's a bit too late to implement that for
hamm (still doable for slink though).

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS    vincent@{{waw,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:        Open Hardware:              WAW:               -