Re: Debian i386 freeze

Previously Brian White wrote:
> ncurses was just installed about 5 mins ago.

I noticed, I'm monitoring incoming :)

> > > For those "necessary" packages, I can wait the weekend if absolutely
> > > necessary.
> >
> > IMHO wu-ftpd-academ is as necessary as dhcp. dhcp is used in many sites and,
> > unlike wu-ftpd-academ, has no alternative. If you let wu-ftpd-academ through
> > at least let dhcp also in hamm.
>
> I have to admit, I personally don't think this wu-ftpd bug is "important".

This looks like the same problem ssh had, which is not using --comment-chars
for update-inetd. It only occurs when upgrading a system, which is nasty,
but not really release critical I guess.

> We'll see what we can do for Slink.

Looks like an agreement then :)

> I could at least move the kde stuff to non-free.  I'm not a legal expert
> but I always thought the GPL could only be applied to the code you write
> and not the code you include.  Thus, the rights required by the GPL only
> apply to the kdebase code and do not have to apply to the library it links
> against.

Shouldn't that be contrib then? KDE itself is GPL, but it depends on a
non-free library..

> Sorry.  You are correct.  Is this reproduceable?  I find it unlikely that
> it only happened to one person.  Smail should be a pretty popular package.

I think it's a one-person problem. The testing team has probably done the
same (1.3.1 to 2.0) upgrade lots of times and I haven't seen that bug
reported from them.. probably should be downgraded.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl