Re: BUG FOUND: Re: Potentially serious problem with kernel-headers...

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 12:40:07PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > why not just patch the current libc6 kernel headers with this
> > new structure and add a note to the headers...
> > that will solve this 1 problem without introducing new ones
> > (unless you think that in itself could add new bugs? but I don't
> > see how that could add a bug)
> >
> > at least that would allow people who move to the newer kernel to re-compile
> > these programs
> >
> > any thoughts?
>
> As all the packages that currently exhibit this problem have or are
> already being rebuilt against the proper headers, I see no reason to
> introduce a hack fix into glibc this close to release.

The one reason I can see for it is simply that if a person for whatevr
reason decides to get a source package of the program then they
may not be building it against the right headers.

maybe an alternate would be to include the .35 kernel header
that is "in question" with the programs in question...then
use an ifdef situation (or just strong cautions) to make sure that
it is not build with kernel headers < .34

At least making sure some documentation of the problem is somewhere for
future reference where people eager to build the package from
source can find it (I have often thought it woul dbe cool to have
some sort of "make world"... :) )
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"