Re: Hamm Beta: Delay #1

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> Finally, to support the "soft-dependencies", we could just allow
> packages to create files in the following directories:
>
>   /usr/lib/emacsen-common/postinst/<packagename>
>   /usr/lib/emacsen-common/prerm/<packagename>

I just realized that this isn't enough for soft-dependencies.  We'd
also need the relevant packages to include a file like

   /usr/lib/emacsen-common/associated/<packagename>

that lists the other add-on packages that should be re-configured if
this package is installed/removed, but it's not a formal depencency
according to dpkg.

With this, I think we could actually dispense with the

  /usr/lib/emacsen-common/postinst/<packagename>
  /usr/lib/emacsen-common/prerm/<packagename>

files.  The relevant bits could just be put in the normal
install/remove files.