Re: Intent to package: HTML::Embperl

On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 11:43:56AM +0200, Stefan Gybas wrote:
> Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman-debian-devel@debian.org> wrote:
> > I am intending to package (which is to say, I have a rough package and
> > just need to clean up a few loose ends) HTML::Embperl, and module that
> > can be used standalong, as a CGI or from within Apache's mod_perl as a
> > way of painlessly embedding perl within HTML pages.
> Joachim Wiedmann has just written a similar perl package (called HTML::EP)
> - you can find it in his author section at CPAN. I think his solution is
> better, so you might want to take a look at it and rather package this
> one.

I just looked at it (and found his scripts for helping regularize the
process of maintaing Cisco configurations via TFTP, which looks
interesting), and I noticed, before anything else, that he says's it's alpha
and that the API is almost certainly going to change.  That suggests to me
that I _don't_ want to package it, at least not now.

Also, both HTML::Embperl and ePerl code their low-level core in C, which can
have a significant impact on speed and runtime size.  I have done a lot of
work work with libwww-perl, and in my experience, 1) you must jump through
some unusual hoops to use HTML::Parser without setting yourself up for
memory leaks---but I trust Joachim to get that right, and 2) HTML::Parser is
still a bit of a pig, even when it's not leaking memory.

So, with all due respect to Joachim Wiedmann, who has done a lot of nice
work on other projects, I think I'm going to let HTML::EP mature a bit
before I seriously consider using it in production work.  And I don't have
time to take on packages that I'm not going to be actively using myself.

Mike.