Re: fistfight between libc6-dev and joystick

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Joystick should place joystick.h in /usr/include/linux/modules instead of
> > the current location in /usr/include/linux, which conflicts with
> > libc6-dev.
>
> When was /usr/include/linux/modules introduced? I've never heard of it
> before and it's empty on my system..

As it is on mine.

I am not sure who delivers this directory. It isn't contained in the
libc6-dev package, and the Contents file doesn't seem to mention it, but
when I grepped /var/lib/dpkg/info it is mentioned in libc6-dev.list.

I guess this means that it was delivered by the libc6-dev package at an
earlier time? I don't understand completely how the .list files are built.
This one is dated the last time I did an upgrade.

My suggestions were based on knowing that the directory existed, and not
knowing who delivered it.

I still don't understand why dpkg wipes the /usr/include/linux directory
before it loads the files from libc6-dev. If it already exists and has
non-conflicting files, shouldn't they be left alone when dpkg installs the
other files?

In any case, even if the directory is delivered by libc6-dev (it doesn't
look like I should do anything about that, but I will investigate) its
contents should be left alone by the dpkg upgrade? I guess I'll have to
test this out...

BTW, I had no idea there were so many other bug reports merged with the
one I closed. (I did open a replacement report on the joystick package)

Thanks,

Dwarf