Re: Time for some Clarity (KDE, Qt, Open Source...)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> > > Talking about international software law, I've heard that in Spain a license
> > > written in a foreign language is useless. I don't know if that's the same
> > > in other countries of the EU, but we should check, and start lobbying RMS
> > > for "official" translated versions of the GPL and LGPL.
>
> Vincent Renardias <vincent@waw.com> wrote:
> > Same in France, _any_ document (licence/documentation/etc...) not in
> > French has no legal value.
>
> Of course, with the berne convention, that would mean that legally we're
> not allowed to distribute at all in those countries. Or aren't Spain and
> France signatories to this convention?]

AFAIK, France signed this convention, but:
1/ It would not be the first time France signed an international
convention which conflicts with some of its "internal" laws.
2/ I doubt this convention bullies the users to accept licences written
in languages they can't understand.

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -