Found solution to DPKG on non-debian systems

>From the suggestion made by Johnie Ingram, I found a usable method for
developing and packaging binaries on non-Debian systems.  The short
version of the story is that by creating an image of a Debian system
and running dpkg with the Debian system as its root (chroot style), I
was able to convince dpkg to generate the dependencies and emit a
valid binary package.  I wrote a perl script to checkout the sources
from CVS build and then create the package.

Of course, when 2.0 becomes stable this shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the help.

-- Marc