Re: .so and .a libs, tcl, postgres = in over my head

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, David Welton wrote:

> No, it doesnt!  Just to make sure that I was remembering things right
> (the first thing I tried when starting out to compile it as a module
> was, of course, a simple -ltcl8.0).  To test, I backed my apache down
> to -2, which doesn't have the RTLD_GLOBAL thing.
>
> I get this same, awful error, with the exact same module that was
> working with -4.
>
> couldn't load file "libpgtcl.so": /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so: undefined
> symbol: Tcl_GetChannel
>     while executing
> "load libpgtcl.so"

Hey! We're talking about two different things :) I was talking about the
module able to load the tcl library if linked dynamically, you were
talking about loading additional tcl modules. :)

> >        External  references in the library are resolved using the
> >        libraries in that library's dependency list and any  other
> >                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >                     /* this is linking against a library */
> >        libraries previously opened with the RTLD_GLOBAL flag.
> > And this is the case when additionally loaded module depends on a
> > previously loaded module (the other way round).
>
> I wonder if there is something wrong with /usr/lib/libpgtcl.so ?

Nope, if it works with RTLD_GLOBAL (I couldnt make php3 work with
RTLD_GLOBAL though, but that was apache 1.3b3, so I hacked it with some
linking, I'll try it again with php 3.0.1)

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
              HuLUG: http://www.cab.u-szeged.hu/local/linux/