Re: Intent to package/investigate Root Framework

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Jens Ritter wrote:

> Hallo all,
>
> is somebody working on the root framework, mentioned in LJ 51 ( July 98
> - -- see http://root.cern.ch/ ) ?
>
> If not I would like to claim my intend to package and would like to
> request some help from a more experienced developers (for this will be my
> first multi package distribution).
>
> A second problem is copyright inconsistency:
>
> The CINT c++ interpreter is free (though copyrighted by Hewlett Packard),
>
> Some files have:
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software and its  *
>  * documentation for non-commercial purposes is hereby granted without   *
>  * fee, provided that the above copyright notice appears in all copies   *
>  * and that both the copyright notice and this permission notice appear  *
>  * in the supporting documentation. The authors make no claims about the *

These files would cause the package containing them to go into non-free.

> Some only:
> // Copyright (C) 1995 CodeCERN. All rights reserved.

These files can not be distibuted at all, since the right to distribute
them is "reserved". So none of these files could go into a package at all.

> In LJ one of the authors states:
> "The current version can be used and distributed freely as long as proper
> credit is given and copyrigth notices are maintained. For commercial use,
> the authors would like to be notified."

If this is their intention, it might be worth the effort to ask them to
sort out the licensing properly. The quoted statement is almost the BSD
license. Let them have a look at it. The BSD license is DFSG compliant, so
the program could go into main if they would apply the BSD license to it.
But remember, be nice to them. Ask politely. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Remco