Re: A project to provide a nicer GUI for installing debian ?

* Vincent Renardias (Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 08:36:19PM +0200)

> This (ie: having the install program using X11) has already been done a
> while ago by Caldera (and possibly RedHat).
> It has been dropped because it required the ramdisk to be splitted on 2
> floppies and was very inconvenient.
> Also it turns out that X11 with VGA16 is even uglier than ncurses/newt.
> (Gtk programs looks very bad on my 256 colour display, and I don't even
> want to know how it can look like with only 1 colours).

Maybe GGI should be worth looking into, it may appear in kernel
version 2.2, and adding support for a GGI-based (i.e. graphical,
but no X) install method would not reauire something as large as X.

However, I might be wrong.

Ina ny case, _when_ GGI is released to the general public, it would be
nice to have this finished.

Thought: This does not need to be on the bootdisk, but could the bootdisk
provide a way to choose from additional installation procedures if you
are booting (or installing) from a larger media? (CDROM)

Thought: A ZIP disk image would have been interesting, and would also
provide ample space for such a thing. It should be able to boot from,
if you have a SCSI ZIPdrive, and a controller which support that.

--
 SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
  Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend