Re: A project to provide a nicer GUI for installing debian ?

Andreas Tille <tille@physik.uni-halle.de> writes:

> On 2 Jul 1998, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
> > But why is a GUI any easier to use than the GUI-like TUI that we have
> > right now?  And you'd have a hard time getting that to work with
> > monochrome monitors or mouseless machines or machines with weird mouse
> > interfaces (i.e., MS InPort Mouse).

The GUI MUST provide a console support for non X enviroments. Also
Mousless systems must be thought of. Even keyboardless maschines can
be handled by provideing a http method (once the network is set up).

> ... that's what I think. Moreover, did you ever hurt your eyes from
> a flickering monitor.  Why should I use vga16 with a 21" monitor and the
> fastest graphics card available (OK, I didn't own such fine stuff :-(,
> but if I would own it I would be very unhappy about such brain-dead
> stuff).

One can use a lifefilesystem on CD and a ramdisk (or loopback on a
native partition) to hold all xservers and to configure them (and
store them on the loopback).

You would have a 1600x1200-24 display in 70 Hz on your 21" monitor,
some nice Pictures in the background, a large help window descibing
what the next step should be and so on. That way it might look far
better than dialog or newt with its limited options.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn