RE: GNUnification

I think these ideas are pretty interesting, but I have a couple of
questions:

1.  Why doesn't the Hurd comply with the unix file system standard?  Is
there some problem with the hierarchy that they wish to fix?  Or is it
just do be different?

2.  Isn't the hurd just a micro-kernel with a "personality" on top of
it?  Why can't we have something like a debian-gnu/linux distribution
using hurd that has a "linux" personality?  I mean, there is a ton of
GNU software that we use already on our system.  What's the point of
converting all of it to a new "personality" with a new file-system
structure?

3.  How can I help!

-Brent