Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 00:58:11 -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>
> >So I take it you don't think Qt should go in the main distribution
> >becuase its not Open?
>
>     Correct.
>
> >But you still think that debian should remian completly open and not
> >include things like Qt in the main distribution even though they allow
> >people to "develop for their product in the spirit of the GPL"?
>
>     Because Debian has drawn a line.  I may not agree completely with how
> some people interpet that line, but I think it should be stood by.

I call stubborn.  Infact very very stubborn.  It like saying we herby
declare that a School will always be a male only school, always, and
every.  That will never change.  Never mind that all the other male only
scolls are being to except the famial sex to keep up with changing
times.  We won't even do it if the population only 10% male.  Never
change.  We have drawn the line.

Therefor you are saying that debian will only use free software.
Always, always, always.  It will never use software that is not quite
free. Even if all the other linux distributions are including it becuase
it is free enough for them.  Debian will not, it is against our
prinsables so it will never happen.  We must stand by our prinsables,
must, must...

Like I said stubborn.

Please, please, don't take this as flame bate but I was just trying to
put what you said into prespetive.

> That
> means, on one hand, that things will not be included in the main
> distribution.  On the other hand, it means accepting that there is
> proprietary software out there and that is OK and not the end of the world.

If people want a coed school there are lots of other schools to chose
from.  But we will stay male only out of principle.

The consider anyone who draws a line and refuses to budge inflexible (as
well as stubborn). It is something I expect to see in old timers.

> >It seams you more agree with me that you disagree however you still
> >think that debian should remain completly open at the sacrafice of not
> >having some really nice (and perhaps important steps into the acceptance
> >of linux as a serious OS against Windows) almost-free packages in the
> >main distribution?
>
>     But there is a difference.  Debian is here for all, but they have chosen
> to make it open only.  OTOH there is no restriction on someone else taking
> Debian and adding to it.  It is stated clearly in the DSC that Debian can be
> used for that purpose.  There is nothing wrong with that arrangement.

One question?  So you are saying that debain was really never went as an
end user system.  But as a stepping stone?  And that stepping stone will
be open only no discussion.