Re: GTK+-based AWR (was Re: On java programs & main/contrib)

> (Also, the GIMP was ported from motif to GTK+; this means GTK+
> was originally written for a motif program. So, should be
> possible.)

(Off topic -- check out my program at http://www.wxftp.seul.org.
It has both Motif and GTK+ interface. So I know that it is possible from
my own programming experience, but this is not the point. I still think
that creating GTK+ - based AWT is a waste of time and other resources,
especially when JDK finally runs with lesstif)

> > Plus, no serious Java developer would use this "Kore" classes in case of even
> > slight suspicion of incompatibility.
>
> Note that microsoft's IE does not use the classes from sun, they
> wrote their own version. And programs compiled against sun's run
> in microsoft's, and even vice-versa.

Well, the truth is that it is not so. If someone tried to write something a
little bit more elaborate than "Scribble Applet" in Java, s/he would know that
the difference in the way program run on different platforms is drastic.
You have to spend some considerable effort to make your JAVA code "portable"
even to defferent _JDK_ implementations, not to mention alternative virtual
machine and, more important, classes implementations.

Producing another set of home-made Java core classes is only going to increase
that fragmentation.

Applying the idea of DFSG to something that defines a standard is an absurd.
Like if you find a bug in the Java core classes - you gonna fix it, aren't
you? And this is bad, because other implementation has that bug and the
portability of the java code will be dramatically reduced.
Or if someone wants to fork a development of java core classes (just like
gcc/egcs) - where would that standard go?

> So one of us has lost some part of the conversation.

Probably.

Alex Y.

--
   _