Re: emacs -> emacs19. Why?

gsstark@mit.edu (Gregory S. Stark) writes:

> In the long run we need APT to be a bit more clever than dselect in
> discoverying packages that have changed names. Currently it displays packages
> that are not up-to-date separately but doesn't realize when the new version
> has a different name. In that case the user has to go digging in the
> uninstalled packages for similar sounding names.

I think it discovers changed names if you do a dist-upgrade.  I found
this out when I threw experimental into my "sources.list".  When I did a
dist-upgrade apt replaced dpkg with adpkg, a change which is very
difficult to reverse. (adpkg has a lot of overlaps with dpkg, and
instead of using diversions, it just rewrites "dpkg.list".)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu