Re: 2.0.34 and x-bit on libraries

Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@datom.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> as somebody (Harald Schueler <hs@ILP.Physik.Uni-Essen.DE> pointed out
> and as we (Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.Uni-Mainz.de> and me) could
> reproduce after some grief about a non-functional ftp server (using
> wu-ftpd-academ) we got the impression, that
>
>     . 2.0.34 needs the x-bit on shared libraries!

The kernel doesn't know about shared libraries at all. The place this policy
could change would be in ld.so / ld-linux.so.

There has in fact been a related change in policy:

  * Changed ld-linux.so and libdl.so to match glibc by not
    allowing user preloads of system libraries into setu/gid
    binaries unless the library itself is setuid.

But I don't think it requires the execute bit as well.

greg