Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

Hi,
>>"Dale" == Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

 Dale> What is with this snake like facination with epochs?

	Firstly, this is uncalled for. Secondly, even as a popular
 belief, it is not snakes that are fascinated, their victims are
 supposed to be. Thirdly, there is no scientific evidence that snakes
 indeed semi-hypnotize their prey.

 Dale> Epochs are intended to be a fix for version number overlap.

	Why is an upstrem prerelese with an version number that does
 not order well not fit this criterion?

	As I see it, there are upstream releases. Some are more stable
 than others. The upstream athours sometimes create versions which do
 not order correctly. We use epochs to correct this.

 Dale> This, on the other hand, while it does deal with version
 Dale> numbers, the similarity ends there. This is a temporary problem
 Dale> that is better solved by some careful planning in the
 Dale> future. (Yes, it is a recurring problem, but each time, it is
 Dale> temporary.)

	Oh, your package, your decision, but you should realize that
 the solutions presented do warp upstream versions (I assume that the
 upstream release had a version number). So, it is a choice between
 warping a version number (and creating confusion about exactly which
 pre-release was being used) or using an epoch, which is an
 irreversible process.

	manoj
--
 If you think the United States has stood still, who built the largest
 shopping center in the world? Richard M. Nixon