Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:21:44 -0400
From: Anderson MacKay <iris@oceania.tnn.net>
To: Robert Edmonds <edmonds@owlnet.rice.edu>
Subject: Re: Anyone at Rice University?

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 08:54:42PM +0000, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> Are there any Debian users/developers at Rice University in Houstin,
> Texas? My cousin came back home for summer vacation and I've set up his
> computer running Debian. However, it's got an Ethernet card (EtherLink III
> - set it up fine with the 3c509 module) and someone's going to have to set
> it up to use Rice's network when he gets back. He barely knows tcsh,
> unfortunately, I wonder if there are any Debian people at Rice that are
> familiar with the network to set it up for him.

Oooh!  Cool.  I'm sorta a student-in-exile from Rice at the moment.  I can
give you some details on setting up for the network there if you want,
although I can't physically help out.  (I'm currently on leave doing a co-op
with NASA at Kennedy Space Ctr -- so I'm a little out of the Rice loop
at present. :)  But I successfully ran oceania.brown.rice.edu as a Debian
1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 machine with the very same Etherlink III you're using.
It was quite painless after wrestling with BOOTP to get an IP address.  The
secret is this -- rather than wrestle with bootp under Linux, just grab
a handy Mac or PC laptop from someone around whatever college he's at, and
plug that into the candidate port.  The bootp addresses are hard-wired to the
physical ports, so once you figure out the IP address of a specific port,
then just statically config the Debian box in /etc/init.d to come up at
that IP address.  IIRC, the netmask is the usual 255.255.255.0 for a class
B subnet (I could be wrong on that, though ...), the primary DNS server
is moe.rice.edu at 128.42.5.4, the broadcast is standard 128.42.xx.255, and
I -think- the default gateway for a given college subnet is 128.42.xx.254.
A second guess would be 128.42.xx.2, but I'm pretty sure the 254 address is
who you want to route through.  If it's helpful I'll be glad to send him my
home phone number -- and if he wouldn't mind calling I'll talk him through
whatever.  Also, the problem tracking system out at Rice is -very- helpful,
although I'm not sure you can get to it through their firewall.  Try
http://problem.rice.edu, or if you need specific info try emailing
problem@rice.edu -- they even gave me a second IP address on my ethernet
port so that I could hook my Newton MessagePad 2000 up using the Debian box
as a router via PPP.  Really nice and helpful folks.  Related, what college
(residential college, that is ...) is he at?  Is he a freshman this year, or
what?  I'll be back at Rice either in about 6 months, or about 10 months
from now ... I'll be roughly of senior status at that point.  Oh, well ...
let me know if I can be of further help.

Anderson MacKay                            | Merritt Island, Florida, US
Microsoft != standard.  Just trust me.     |
http://oceania.tnn.net/~iris	           | <-- PGP key and other goodies
           Check out Debian GNU/Linux, http://www.debian.org

----- End forwarded message -----