Re: Intent to package: t1lib

On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 03:02:49AM -0500, Rob Tillotson wrote:
> David Huggins-Daines <bn711@freenet.carleton.ca> writes:
> > Is the dependency on gsfonts | xfntscl too bogus?  (It needs Type 1 fonts
> > to be at all useful, and the demonstration program "xglyph" in t1lib0-bin
> > will spit out rude error messages if it can't see any fonts).
>
> I'm just a new guy, but I think it should be downgraded to "Suggests",
> if even that.
>
> The question is "does t1lib require these particular fonts so strongly
> that the user should be forced -- or nearly so -- to install them?"  I
> say no, because:
(lots of good reasons why the dependency is bogus)

Yeah, that makes sense.  I was really just thinking of xglyph - since it's
got a menu entry, if someone selects it and there are no fonts visible to
t1lib, it just won't appear.  T1lib itself doesn't specifically need to
have any fonts listed in its config file in order to start up.

The script that the postinst calls to create a font database and config
file is able to find any fonts that happen to be installed under
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts, which includes
quite a few packages.  (I suppose I could have it look under /usr/lib/texmf
and /usr/share/groff, as well... any thoughts on this?)

I'll just make sure it doesn't choke when it can't find any fonts at all,
and remove the dependency altogether, since the package doesn't become non-
useful without specific font packages.  The configuration script can
be run with extra arguments specifying other directories to add to the font
database.

Like I said, the packages are preliminary... I haven't written the man pages
yet, and a few things are still in the wrong places (plus I want to convert
the docs to HTML and put in a menu entry for dwww).  It's good to see that
someone out there does actually want these packages, though :-)  I'll take
that as a sign that it's okay to continue to work on the packages.

Cheers

--
David Huggins-Daines
bn711@freenet.carleton.ca