Intent to package: MacGate

MacGate is a set of user-space programs for using the Appletalk-IP
decapsulation driver in the 2.1.90 and later kernels (or 2.0 kernels with
the Appletalk-Suite patch).  It allows a GNU/Linux system with Netatalk
to act as an Appletalk-IP router.  The license is GPL.

I've made preliminary source and binary packages for i386, which have been
uploaded to my webpage at http://aix2.uottawa.ca/~s1204672/linux/

I hope this isn't a really stupid question, but I couldn't find anything
relevant in the policy manual:  Is it all right to package things like this
that depend on experimental or patched kernels?  I assumed it should go in
"extra" and included a stern warning in the Description: field of the
control file that it won't work with the standard 2.0.33/2.0.34 kernel
images.  Should I include the kernel patch in the package, with
instructions?

Assuming this is all right, and noone else is doing it (I'm planning to
take over an orphaned package or two, anyway), I'll apply to become an
official developer...  If there's anyone in the Ottawa-Hull area that can
sign my PGP key for me, please contact me by personal e-mail.

As an aside, I wasn't able to get these programs to link against
libatalk.so without also linking with /usr/lib/libwrap.a.  I'm unsure whether
to file this as a bug, and if so, whether it should be a bug  against
libatalk1-dev (which provides libatalk.so, which is where gcc complains about
missing symbols) or netbase (which provides libwrap.a, but no libwrap.so)
because I honestly have no idea what libwrap.a is for :-)

Cheers

Dave

--
David Huggins-Daines