Re: xntp3: init script is not very policy-compliant

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> wrote:
> Was the system clock ever warped more than 1024 seconds under these
> circumstances?  If so, I think that it would cause xntpd to exit, but I
> have not actually tried it.

Hmm... circumstancial evidence says that yes, this kills xntpd.

I guess the right thing to do for this would be to always restart
xntpd after running ntpdate.

start-stop-daemon --start --verbose --exec /usr/sbin/xntpd
(
	# xntpd won't start if ntpdate is running
	# ntpdate may hang under some circumstances
	ntpdate -bs `awk '/^[ 	]*server/{print $2}'`
	# xntpd may exit if clock slews more than 1024 seconds
	start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/sbin/xntpd 2>/dev/null
) &

Does ntpdate really hang?  This approach is fundamentally clunky.

--
Raul