Re: RETRACTED msql 2.0.3-4

James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk> writes:

> My original objection was going to be base around the fact that passwd
> is Essential, but it turns out it isn't, my bad.  I'd hate to be part
> of the current `Let's make foo Essential: yes and part of the base
> system, in fact let's make it the kernel' trend, but wouldn't it make
> some sense to make passwd Essential as it is the only sane way for
> maintainer scripts to add/remove/toy with users?

passwd is required and that is enough.  You can assume that all
required packages are always on the system.  Essential packages are
the subset of required that if you remove them, you won't even be able
to put them back.

So it's fine if the preinst just calls useradd without any checks or
predependencies.

Guy