Re: xntp3: init script is not very policy-compliant

[I don't have the bug number at hand, so please forward this to the bug
tracking system.]

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Package: xntp3
> Version: 5.91-8
> Severity: important
>
> There are a number of aspects of the existing init script that are not
> policy-compliant.  Within this mail is a modified version that is.  (Yes, I
> have tested it.)

[snip]
> restart|reload|force-reload)
>   $0 stop
>   $0 start
>   ;;
[snip]

According to policy, the "reload" option must never _restart_ the service.
(This isn't stated explicitely in the documents, but it was meant that
way. Perhaps someone should clarify the text in the policy manual?)

If xntp3 doesn't support reloading, the "reload" option should fail (or
not be implemented at all, which would make the script display the usage
text).

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz