Re: RFC: packaging kernel modules

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe writes:
>  > Hm, we should really talk to the kernel people.. but here is my thoughts,
>  >   #1 - If person X compiles a module for kernel x.x.x and it doesn't work
>  >        on your compile of x.x.x then you need to recompile your kernel.
>  >        [General rule, most modules don't try to deduce what symbols are
>  >         available]
>
> Er, why ?  Does this mean I cannot choose the exact kernel config I
> will use, and what patches I apply ?

That's exactly what it means. As Wichert pointed out, you need PCI for
ALSA to work - period. If you don't want PCI then you must hack alsa.

>  > In the case of alsa I think it should compile for 2.0 and go into the 2.0/
>  > modules directory that appears to be on my machine.
>
> Hm, I quite skeptic.  We'll have to have eg. a try at loading the
> 2.0.33-compiled ones in a 2.0.34 kernel...

I think alsa is using a fairly stable portion of the kernel interface. My
suggestion is to compile alsa against headers with modversions enabled and
require that anyone using the prebuild alsa driver also have that flag
(and pci and what ever else) enabled.

Jason