Re: What version of glibc in Hamm?

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Dale Scheetz writes:
>  > Second: this was supposidly the last pre-release before the final version,
>  > and I wanted it to get some testing.
>  >
>  > I will be coming out with a "final" Debian version in the next week or
>  > two, depending on how much Ulrich stonewalls the upstream release.
>
> Hm... it will be great as long as there are no interface changes
> between current version in hamm and the final version you want to put
> there.  I was told by Ted T'so that Ulrich told he doesn't care too
> much about these interface changes, which is BTW a reason for glibc to
> get into the LSB.
>
> Will this upgrade not imply that we recompile and test the whole of
> the dist, to make it sure hamm is self-compilable ?  If not, every
> bugfix upload will possibly break something because of a possible
> glibc change...

You may be confusing 2.0.7 with 2.1.X, which is getting many changes.

The 2.0.7 CVS tree is still accepting bug fix patches, so the only
difference between 2.0.7pre3 and 2.0.7 will be that more of the critical
bugs on glibc will be fixed. Even those programs that show bugs with the
current glibc will probably not need recompiling to gain the fixes in the
shared libraries.

The only reason that Ulrich is holding back on releasing 2.0.7 stems from
the fact that, because of incompatible differences in the 2.0.6 and 2.0.7
loaders, the make install target does not succeed, as the new loader must
link to the new library, which is not installed (or the new library
install breaks the old loader, until the new library can be installed, but
with a broken loader...). The Debian package system deals with this
problem effortlessly (I believe it is done by installing under temp names
and then doing an atomic rename of both files) and the upgrade from 2.0.6
to 2.0.7 goes very smoothly.

This, by the way, is something that RedHat may not be able to deal with,
but then I don't know anything about RedHat but what I read in the press.

Hope this settles your "fears",

Dwarf