Re: 1.3 installation reboots on a thinkpad.

On 7 Jun 1998, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Dale> I know it has been a long time since we have dealt with
>     Dale> these problems. It is for this reason that I can't remember
>     Dale> what the solution was.
>
>     Dale> I have a client trying to install 1.3 and the kernel gets
>     Dale> almost completely through the initialization stages before
>     Dale> rebooting. Is the tecra kernel the fix for this, or is it
>     Dale> something else entirely?
>
>     Dale> Thanks in advance,
>
>  Please read bugs on `boot-floppies', and recent postings to the
>  `debian-testing' list.
>
>  It turns out that the cure is to use a more recent `syslinux', and a
>  zImage kernel, rather than a bzImage.  I don't know for sure, but I'm
>  guessing that the only difference between the tecra kernel and the
>  standard one is that the standard kernel is a bzImage and the tecra
>  one is a zImage.
>
>  I imagine that boot-floppies-2.0.7 will incorporate this bugfix.
>
>  Could someone who knows about it tap us down a quick paragraph
>  explaining the difference between a zImage and a bzImage, please?

As I understand it any kernel image over 1 meg will not fit the zImage
format and thus the bzImage (big zImage) format was developed. Some
loaders apparently still don't know how to impliment this image
compression format and thus fail.

This doesn't seem to be the probem in this case, as the user reports that
the boot up messages scroll by merrily until just before the login prompt
and then the system reboots.

>  Why does it cause a reboot or a freezup?

Used to be that loadlin could not load a bzImage (it has since been fixed
I believe), but I thought that had been fixed for lilo and syslinux long
ago...

Waiting is,

Dwarf