Re: On adding size info to Packages files [very long]

In message <q9iumlm5zi.fsf@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>,
Brederlow writes:
>Would that already be a correct Packages file or would dpkg and
>similar scream about wrong entries? Could old dpkg's handle the new

It seems to work for me.  Any entries that are not recognised are ignored
or passed through unchanged.

>Theres another possibility:
>Normal users wont backup their System, repartition differently and
>restore the backup (at least not often). Also they wont move
>directories around and link them often. We could thus trimm the du
>tree down to what the current system reflects. In case the user does

I don't think this will gain much...  It's probably easier to separate
the size information from the packages file; after all, it isn't needed
either during normal operation or when removing packages, only when you're
installing new packages.  The rest of the time it needn't be kept locally.

Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>
PGP public keyprint: 74 68 AB 2E 1C 60 22 94  B8 21 2D 01 DE 66 13 E2