Re: Linuxconf

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 02, 1998 at 05:04:19PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > config files belong to a human. the system admin or their delegate.
> >
> > if a program edits it too, it should do it in a way which does
> > not interfere at all with that human's right to put whatever s/he
> > desires in the file. if it can not guarantee that 100% then it
> > should not edit the file.
>
> With the exception of sendmail.cf, linuxconf does this.

so i can make any arbitrary change to any config file which linuxconf can
work with, and linuxconf will:

	- not freak out because of some weirdness i did
	- not freak out because of some perfectly sensible thing i did
	- not lose any information (not a single byte), including comments and
	  the order/location of comments in the file

?

if that is the case, then i withdraw my objection against linuxconf
editing config files directly.

RE: sendmail.cf

IMO, linuxconf should manage sendmail.mc rather than sendmail.cf.

craig

--
craig sanders