Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> Debian's dedicated to providing a free operating system. It's the first
> thing our proposed constitution says, even. I think it's nice to keep
> the distribution split up into "free", "free, but needs non-free stuff"
> and "non-free", without dirtying the water.

Agreed: our current "contrib" classification says something about
the licensing issues, and that's important.

It should be fairly easy for someone to split optional into optional but
recommended and whatever.  I don't want to do the split, however, and
I'd really like the description of the split to be clear enough to
avoid several tens of megabytes of discussion on it by next year.

> But rather than having "unstable" be the working copy of the next release,
> I was thinking of giving that title to "frozen", leaving "unstable"
> more along the lines of the release after that.
>
> Packages could only be moved to "frozen" after being static in "unstable"
> for a week or so, and with no release-critical bugs filed against them
> and with the release manager / the testing groups permission.
>
> The testing group then has the entire three, four or six month release
> cycle to spend testing packages, installs, and whatever else before
> releasing, and important or interesting updates can be easily added to
> the distribution. Meanwhile, CDs can be burnt from the frozen release
> with the knowledge that while it won't be perfect, it'll be pretty damn
> good nevertheless.

I like this idea, and it kind of matches some of what I was trying to
figure out how to express, and it looks like it matches what Bdale
was suggesting with his "pool of packages".  Basically, the developers
part of the ftp site is the simple part, the test&release part is
the big complex part -- we already acknowlege this to some degree
(look at our bug tracking system), but we still put an awful lot
of load on the shoulders of the ftp site maintainer.

Furthermore, we have this practice of pulling stuff out of "incoming"
but we don't really take advantage of it.

And, there's this whole thing where many people have observed that
testing is far more parallizable than development.

So what are we doing about it?

Recommended reading (just a rehash of the messages in this
thread that I think are significant):

David Engel's second rehash of the problem:  [important]
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9805/msg01511.html

Buddha Buck's counterpoints:
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9805/msg01531.html

David Engel's clarifications on a few points:
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9805/msg01608.html

Guy Maor's quick summary:
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9805/msg01623.html

Bdale Garbee's ftp site cleanup proposal:  [important]
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9805/msg01632.html

Bdale Garbee's groupings of debian users:
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9805/msg01721.html

Unfortunately, the message I'm responding to doesn't seem to be up
in the archives, yes.  I'd also like to classify it as important.
So I'm going to include the rest of it verbatim.

--
Raul