Re: Hamm CD's

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> >The "Pre-release" CDs I intend to create are going to be Binary Only
> >(i386) and may not have any frills on them other than the components of
> >the archive, a freshly constructed Packages file and the most recent disk
> >set. If I can find the time, I may make them bootable, but don't hold your
> >breath ;-)
>
> here are my scripts to create debian cdrom. i would like to get feedback.
> i hope you can use them.

Building CDs is so second nature for me that I'm not sure I would benefit
from a script. If I can find some time I will take a look at what you have
built and try to give some constructive feedback.

I have published this before, and got little feedback on it, so I will try
again here. The best solution that I can see for dealing with the grouth
of Debian as reflected in hamm, is to organize the packages by priority.

All of the packages with standard priority or higher will fit on one CD,
source and binary together. These packages, by definition depend on
nothing of lower priority, so any or all may be installed without
unsatisfied dependencies.

For the next CDs it is only necessary to organize the optional and extra
packages into CD bundles that are self installable. That is, once you have
installed all of the "standard" packages, then all of the packages on the
second CD are organized to only depend on standard packages or others on
this CD. All of the remaining packages should fit on a third CD with all
their dependencies met on that CD. (note also that source and binary
should both go on the same CD.)

This would allow dselect and friends to simply step through each CD.
Install all of the first, then only what you need from the second and
third in additional sessions with dselect or apt. With a little care all
dependencies can be dealt with on a per-CD basis.

I am already constructing such a "local" archive for the express purpose
of doing autobuilds of all the standard packages. Each package (previously
a file in the section directory) gets its own subdirectory, which contains
the source, diff, dsc, changes, and .deb files associated with that source
package. A simple script in this directory, unpacks the source, builds the
packages, and cleans up after, allowing a simple walk down the directory
tree building as you go.

Luck,

Dwarf