Re: perlfaq license

On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 06:27:00PM +0200, Bart Schuller wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 09:40:14AM -0500, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> > Why is perlfaq not in non-free?  This license does not seem to me to comply
> > with the DFSG:
>
> Because perlfaq isn't software? (the S in DFSG)
>
> Now I know the whole flamewar going on in the perl and gnu newsgroups
> will come here as well, but to me the issue is: Should all documentation
> shipped with Debian conform to the exact same rules as those for
> software?

This is an interesting question..  I think that we will need to come
up with some different ideas about documentation and its licensing.
For instance, take a look at the license of the FSSTND...

Permission is granted for FSSTND contributors and participants to copy
and distribute modified versions of this standard under the conditions
for verbatim copying for purposes of filesystem standardization
activities only, and subject to those restrictions listed below.

I think this fails several DFSG points.

continuing..

   o No portion of this document may be redistributed in any modified
or abridged form without the prior approval of the FSSTND coordinator.

I'm sure this fails the DFSG.

I'm sure there are other documents where it makes sense not to have
them be quite so free.  Do we want someone releasing a changed version
of the DFSG?  I mean, if it's GPL'ed, I could rewrite the DFSG to be
"1. If it doesnt cost anything, it's free!" and distribute it, no?:->

> As a practical matter, it may be best to wait a bit until the storm has
> passed before making changes to the distribution.

Probably a wise idea.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org