Re: Debian from the Stampede's POV

On Tue 19 May 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>  - but I think the code
> size increase we'd get from compiling everything with pgcc would be
> detrimental to small-medium systems. Already egcs gives quite an increase
> in size (apt's .deb is 60k larger!) :<

Hmmm, I seem to remember from an earlier discussion on gcc/egcs that
egcs does C++ exceptions better/whatever, and that means each function
gets some overhead added which leads to the increased size. Apt is C++,
right?  There was some flag to switch the exception stuff off where it
wasn't needed...

disclaimer: This is all from fuzzy memory.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software, Enschede, the Netherlands