Re: Proposal: Automatic query servicing for dpkg installation scripts

Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> 2. Only a particular package can determine which questions need to be
> asked in what order; in particular, following questions can depend on
> the previous ones.  This means that we can't specify the questions in
> advance in a file.  Instead, we have to put the information in
> command-line arguments to the query program.

But a package should be able to grandfather responses from previous
package instances.  We have plenty of instances where new package
names are needed for what is essentially the same package.  [Not
that it's always appropriate to grandfather responses...]

--
Raul