Re: How to make a rescue disk with an MCA-enabled kernel?

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

: Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> wrote:
: > Hmm.  I'm not sure what you mean.  My point was this:  if I compile a
: > 2.0.32 kernel for the hamm rescue disk, the modules disk is pretty
: > worthless - all the modules there say they are compiled against 2.0.33.
: > (I've run into this one already).  I did include loadable module
: > support, however, and modules which match the kernel version do indeed
: > install, as expected.
:
: If I recall correctly, make-kpkg will help you build a modules .deb
: for your kernel.
:
: Then again, packages which provide loadable kernel modules (like ibcs)
: only work with specific kernel versions.  [Which kind of makes me
: wonder if the emacsen approach might not have value here.]

Uh, we're talking boot disks here, not a kernel-image deb for final use.
I asked a while back how to create a modules disk which corresponded to
the modules I'd just created ... from the responses I received I decided
it was easier to make a rescue disk kernel with everything I needed for
install compiled straight in.  [ Note that I'm talking about an INSTALL
kernel - one that is placed on a rescue disk ]

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104