Re: How to make a rescue disk with an MCA-enabled kernel?

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

: Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> wrote:
: > It's probably best to make sure your homebrew kernel is the same version
: > as the one that was on the rescue disk.  I've noticed module weirdness
: > if you don't do this.  Alternatively, you could make sure you link in
: > everything you need from the start and forget about modules altogether.
:
: Of course, if you do this, you shouldn't expect debian packages which
: provide modules to work (and if anything ever depends on such a package,
: you shouldn't expect to be able to install it without resorting to black
: magic).

Hmm.  I'm not sure what you mean.  My point was this:  if I compile a
2.0.32 kernel for the hamm rescue disk, the modules disk is pretty
worthless - all the modules there say they are compiled against 2.0.33.
(I've run into this one already).  I did include loadable module
support, however, and modules which match the kernel version do indeed
install, as expected.

My point was if you know which SCSI adaptor and Ethernet card you have
(for example), why not compile those into the rescue kernel and leave
the stuff you don't have out?  (Like all the rest of the SCSI adaptors -
you especially need to do this if you have an AHA-2840, for example)

Am I misunderstanding your point?

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104