Re: Strang shutdown mechanism with Debian

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
  >>For me it would make more sense moving the S*scripts that
  >>need to be called with "stop" to K92..K98.  I don't see that
  >>Knn is "full".
  >
  >And what if you want to insert a new script somewhere in between? That
  >would not be possible anymore. The Kxx and Sxx entries need to be sparse
  >so that you can move things around and insert new links "in between".

But the numbers aren't `used up'; all they do is impose an order on the
execution of scripts at that run-level.  For starting the run-level, the
S... scripts are run, for stopping it, the K... ones are run, in alphabetical
order.  So S45abc will run before S45xyz but both will run before S46...
-- that is all that the numbers do.  They only matter if things must be done
in a certain order.

(See the controlling scripts rc and rcS in /etc/init.d.)