Re: Perl packages, CPAN, locally installed .pm files

Hi,

	I guess this is my cue. I have (slated for slink) a
 cpan-package package that uses the CPAN module and creates a debian
 package from the sources downloaded.

	The idea is to make the downloaded packages as painlessly
 integrated as possible; and since they install into /usr/lib/perl5;
 the @INC problem is not an issue.

 # generate the control file
 % make-ppkg --generate --package libcgi-perl --module CGI-modules > control
 % vi control        # make sure things look ok (espescially version numbers)
 % make-ppkg -d my-packaging-directory control
 % dpkg -I my-packaging-directory/libcgi-perl*.deb    # check
 % dpkg -BGiE my-packaging-directory/libcgi-perl*.deb # install

        I had not considered modifying ExtUtils, firstly, because I
 didn't think I could get a patch in (it would be presumtuous of me to
 think otherwise, don't you think?), and secondly, it is not
 necessary. I already package CGI-modules, and have come up with a
 Debian specific packagin infrastructure that is almost mechanical --
 except that there are a few things that need be specified by hand

        Specifically, the Debian control file information; which has
 things like which section (devel/libs/net/x11 etc), whether it is
 meant for the stable or the development Debian tree, whether it is
 part of the main distribution, or it is contrib or non-free,
 description, dependencies on toher debian packages, debian-revision,
 and a package name that meets debian Policy.

        This could, of course, be done up as a MakeMaker rule, with
 proper defaults and all, but I think it would need work on someone's
 part; and I hesitate to impose on the authors.

        My proposal is (and I have it partially implemented) that
 there be a package that; given a control file, optionally downloads
 the package using cpan.pm, (giving us the pristine upstream source
 required by the new Debian source archive policy), unpacks it,
 creates a subdirectory debian, copies the control file there,
 generates the rules, menu, pre-and-post inst files, creaters debian
 Changelog file, and a Debian README, and a initial copyright file in
 that directory.

        Optionally, the script can do a build, and create the Debian
 .deb package. The user can then check the copyright and the rest of
 the package for correctness so far. Installation is then very simple
 (dpkg -i ../*.deb).

        What I'm trying to say is that a Debian package requires
 information that is Debian specific, and it seems unfair to ask
 authors to include it in the package (even if they were conversant
 with Debian policy).

	manoj
--
 The privilege of absurdity; to which no living creature is subject
 but man only.  -- Thomas Hobbs