Re: Undeclared dependencies on menu

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> You have run into a bug in menu (if it is insdeed missing some dependancy)
> or in dselect (if it's configuring things in the wrong order (likely)), but
> this is not aq bug in the hundred of packages that use menu.

Not that unlinkely, what if dselect unpacked menu first and then you
procceeded to install things. Post inst scripts would be called and they
would see menu exists, assume it works and call it. Since it hasn't been
configured it does not work and that will fail horribly.

In general this is a problem with APT too, it cannot know about these
hidden dependencies and it might get bit by something like this. In the
specific case I don't think it is much of a problem because both packages
work when they are unconfigured.

There is a whole general problem with the packaging system here, we have
the concept of 'optional pre-depends' and we also have the concept of
'post-depends' and 'optional post-depends' that are simply not addressed
at all. (Optional would mean that if it is installed it has to be
configured otherwise it is ignored)

Jason