Undeclared dependencies on menu

     While testing the install disks v2.0.6, menu failed to install
due to unsatisfied dependencies.  (This is the subject of another
message).

     Since menu was not configured, man-db, psmisc, bc, and dc could not
be configured because the postinst called update-menu, resulting in
the following error message:

: update-menus: error in loading shared libraries
: libstdc++.so.2.7.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
: directory

     None of these packages declare a dependency on menu.  I believe
that policy should require that a package must declare a dependency on
any non-required utility used by the maintainer scripts, or the
scripts should be designed not to fail if such a utility is not
available.

     Should a bug be filed against these four packages?  I am sure
there are many other packages that use update-menu in their postinsts
and do not declare a dependency on menu.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>