Re: GNU protocol

On Fri, May 08, 1998 at 10:03:03PM -0700, Darren wrote:
> This might not be the right place, but I figure it's a good place to start...

Usually is I have found :)

> What is considered polite with packages that don't (seem) to be maintained by
> the original author... say a package that came from sunsite that hasn't been
> updated since '95 and the email address in the package is no good...

I dunno what other people consider "Polite", but here is how I would
handle it (read: IMHO).
I would make a little more effort to find the author...
do a web search from Altavista... search on the package name and
the authors name etc...
im nlt saying scour the web...just take a look around
see if you can contact them and see if they know of any effort already
being worked on (do wish to avoid duplication of effort)
if this doesn't seem to get anywhere quickly...then I would
say just grab it and start working

> I'm not really looking for what's legal but what's considered good manners if
> you would like to see the program start progressing again??

Well if it is a GNU-style licence on the program...and noone else is
doing anything (even if they are but..again..duplication of effort..
unless you want that)
then just grab the source and work on it yourself and add to the docs
a little paragraph about it and that you couldn't contact the
author
-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and