Predepends query

I've just been testing the new version of dpkg-mountable -- nothing exciting,
I'm afraid -- using a large set of packages to install, and I've hit a small
problem. perl-base was predepended on by something, which caused it (using the
usually-disabled predepends support) to remove perl. This broke
dpkg-mountable, and I had to install perl by hand.

Now, for me, this was trivial, as I knew exactly what needed to be done. The
question is, what about other users? And more specifically, should I make
dpkg-mountable predepend on perl?

This would have the advantage that, so far as I can tell, the installation
shouldn't break like this in future (although I have a fuzzy memory of a bug
in dpkg which might actually allow this). On the other hand, it's another
predepends, and I'm not really sure whether dpkg would handle this situation
well anyway.

I guess it comes down to: does breaking dpkg-mountable count as stopping the
system functioning? Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com