Re: Debian Source distributions (was Re: Intent to package pine-src)

--On Thu, May 7, 1998 10:38 am -0400 "Dale Scheetz" <dwarf@polaris.net>
wrote:

> WRT [Falk's] suggestion above, I don't think that developers can/should
edit
> the .dsc file (its check sum is computed by dpkg and provided in the
> changes file for dinstall to verify the components).
>
> The correct place for this information is in the control file. This file
> has, at least, two paragraphs. One source paragraph, and, at least, one
> package paragraph (one for each binary package built from this source).
>
> Currently package depends are placed in the Package paragraph. The logical
> place for source depends field is in the Source paragraph. Then
> dpkg-buildpackage (and friends) could construct the proper .dsc file
> containing the details of the source dependencies.

Agreed.

> I see only one problem with source dependencies: How do you tell the
> difference between a dependency on a source package and the depencency on
> a binary package. I know that most problems are with the need for some
> binary program to allow the build to proceed, but sometimes these needs
> are for a source file to be present (and in the desired location).

Really? This is presumably the exception, rather than the general rule.  In
general, you are only going to be worrying about .h files (which are
provided by the -dev.deb family of packages) and libraries (which are
provided by the lib*.deb packages).

But in any case, the answer is, I would have thought to have have two
different lines.  A 'Depends: ' line and a 'Depends-Source:' line.  (FWIW, I
think Depends-Source is better than Source-Depends, since the latter reads
like 'the source depends on').

> In addition it would be nice if we could come to terms with upstream
> source in multiple tarballs (libc6 comes like that as do many others).

Presumably one complication here is the required unpacking order (do both
tarballs expand into the same dir, or do I have to expand one, then cd to a
different directory and expand the other).

And, finally, as I have said before, it would be nice to see automated
source-downloading available from a front end.  (Preferably the same
front-end as the automated binary downloading - dselect or apt - but in a
different section).

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |