Re: Coming to closure on ae...

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Carlos Barros wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 1998, Anand Kumria wrote:
>
>   > On Sat, 2 May 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>   >
>   > > There doesn't seem to be a "reliable" method for determining whether or
>   > > not you are in an xterm. Any method so far suggested has "natural"
>   > > configuration situations that break the method.
>   >
>   >   How about just checking for the existance of the DISPLAY variable?
>   >

> What about trying to connext to X server, and if an error, do it in
> terminal mode.

That doesn't work properly when working from a console if you have access
rights to a local X server. The same goes for testing the DISPLAY
variable. The only other way I can come up with is checking the WINDOWID
variable. Or look at how 'elvis' determines if it's running in X or not. I
don't know how elvis checks for X, but it does this quite well.

Remco