Re: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

On 2 May 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> As far as people developing local packages to add on to Debian (which
> is not really what I am planning) - I don't think additional policy is
> needed for that, because they are "local" packages, so it is a matter
> of "local" policy.

   Yep, but it'd be nice if there were guidelines on how to keep local
packages out of the way of upstream debian packages.  I recently
had a collision between amber (a huge proprietary molecular modelling
package I packaged a year ago) and an update of debianutils.  Both had
which.1.gz manpages, and with force-overwrite off debianutils
wouldn't install.  The solution was to recompile the amber package of
course (since it was the trespasser), but it was a major chore.
I should have compiled the amber package to place everything in
/opt/drake/ or something, but there's little support for adding
directories to the binary, manpage, and library search paths.
If anyone creates a (completely different) package named amber I'll have
to rename this one so it doesn't get squashed.

-Drake