Re: Intent to package pine-src

On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 12:32:26PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:
>
> > The postinst for the .deb will compile the source, install the .deb, and
> > clean up after itself if you so desire for a -src package...
>
> Well, I don't plan to do that. I think it would be too much for a -src
> package.
>
> I will simply add a README saying how to unpack the source and build it.
> The main point is to make it available from dselect. All other concerns
> are secondary.

dpkg isn't 're-entrant', anyway, so you couldn't install another package from
within a postinst script.

what you could do, though, is do what the qmail-src package does.  include a
build-pine script (which does the things mentioned above), and also print a
message telling the user about it in the postinst script.

the qmail-src package works very nicely (i tried it out on a 'spare'
machine recently - qmail's quite nice...if it wasn't for the license
and attitude problems i'd be quite tempted to switch to it) and the
build-qmail script could probably be very easily modified to be a
build-pine script.

craig

--
craig sanders