Re: elvis package

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 01:30:36PM -0400, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > 4 or 5? No, in fact there are only 2 vi clones in main: nvi and vim.
> > ae and emacs in vi-mode certainly don't count. elvis, unlike nvi and vim
> > is the only one with X support. We should continue to push for it to be
> > made free.
>
> Vim 5 has *very* nice X interface for both Athena and Motif. I,
> franckly, don't understand why it was not compiled into the vim-5 package.

The reason X support wasn't included into vim-5 was it just takes too much
time to load.  I almost never use gui vim, neither most of my friends do, so I
concluded it would be better if basic vim didn't have it at all.  To save our
time.

X interface in vim5 is okay (although Athena is ugly and I hear vim doesn't
work with lesstif), but I don't think it's complete yet.  For example, one
expects to have a fancy window to select file to open, instead File/Open in
vim just does :n.  Fancy stuff will be included in vim5.2, then gui vim might
make more sense.

Anyway, I do not think we should have X support compiled in vim, rather it
should be a different package or something like that.  It's pretty bad debian
policy forbids it.

	--Lyosha