Re: bzip2 X

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> writes:
> As maintainer of gzip for Debian, I do not agree that having gzip
> fork a bzip2 when it sees a bzip2 magic number is a good idea.  If
> we want to support multiple compression engines, I believe this
> should be handled in dpkg-source.

I agree entirely.  If one wants to do a 'file x', and chose gzip or
bzip2 based on those results, fine, but gzip shouldn't be expected to
have knowledge of some arbitrary set of formats.

Now if someone wanted to create a script called 'dezip' that did 'file
x' and then invoked the appropriate tool, I'd think that a good idea.

Mike.